Create custom Android power menu buttons with Tasker
I recently discovered Android's new power menu and immediately knew what I wanted to do: a button to open the door for my bouldering gym. Previously I've had to open it through their crappy website which always took like 10-15 seconds and multiple clicks.
The magic button was really easy to do with Tasker, which is an Android app you can use to automate pretty much everything. All I basically had to do was send HTTP POST request with my token in the body. Here's how to do something similar (power menu button to send HTTP request):
- Create HTTP Request as a task in Tasker.
- Open the 'tasks' tab
- Add new (+ icon in the circle)
- Add action (+ icon in the circle)
- 'Net' → 'HTTP Request' (NOT 'Http Post', it's deprecated)
- Add your request details (method, url, headers, body)
- Save your task
- Add it to the power menu
- Open power menu (by pressing power button for like 1-2 seconds)
- Open menu (three dots)
- 'Add controls'
- 'See other apps'
- Select the task you just made
That's it! I was kinda lazy with screenshots but I'm sure you can figure out if I missed anything :)